lauantai 17. lokakuuta 2015

Day 3- London eye and Big Ben

Today I started my day with jogging around the nearest park. First I ran about few kilometers on the streets near my house and then I went to the Chase Lane Park. I was the only one running there. Other people were  taking their dogs out.




After running around the park about 10 times (the park is pretty small) I went back home to eat lunch. Today I planned to go to Brixton to see where my working place is located and then to the city center again. 

So I walked to the Chinford mount, where the buses go to the Walthamsow Central. It took me about 5 minutes to get to the bus stop. Then I had to find the bus which I took yesterday evening. Of course I was a little lost (again). I walked from bus stop to another, I was amused, but I finally found the right one :). Normally the bus ride takes about 20 minutes to the Walthamstow Central, but today there was a traffic problems, so it took me about an hour to get to the underground station.. :S


I continued my journey to Brixton. When I got off at the Oval station in Brixton, I had to find the Brixton road, where is the Minna's studio/office. I forgot the address home, but I still found the place in under ten minutes! Here is some pictures of the place where I will be working starting on Monday:




Brixton Road
I decided to go back to the City center, so I took underground once again from Oval station to Waterloo station, because I haven't seen the Big Ben or the London Eye yet. 

this underground/train station is huge!








I walked pass the Houses of Parliament. and continued towards the Oxford Street. On the way I saw that there was a strike. The strike was about National Health Service. People were protesting because worker's wages can be reduced and working hours extended. Here is an article about today's strike:


I walked in the city until the evening. And I was about to go shopping again but I wanted to go home earlier today. At least tonight I knew how to go home. On the way home I uploaded my Oyster card. I had to buy 3 zones for using the underground, buses and trains. It cost me about 37£ for a week ahead. Comparing to transportation fares in Finland, it is expensive here. But there's really no point to compare, London is a lot bigger city than for example Helsinki..

It got dark quite fast when I headed home. Here's pictures of my journey through the city:
Regent Street

bus from Walthamstow central 

the nearest bus station from my home


I have really enjoyed staying in London. The host family is very nice and caring, It's easy to move around the city and people are generally people are very kind here. Sometimes I feel like I'm being rude, even when I am nice in my opinion. British people have just grown up in so different atmosphere than Finnish people.

Another thing what I have noticed is that I already think in English. It feel a bit weird at first but I think it helps me to learn even more. And for me it has been very easy to understand British English, unlike the Indians accent.. :D

I am 100% sure that this trip to London won't be my last one! 

2 kommenttia:

  1. Great pics and stories! Iam very proud and happy for you! Promise to check out some study opportunities too and of course the bookstores and V&A museum!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Hello Selina! Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely go to see other museums and galleries. There is soo much to see here! :)

    VastaaPoista